Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Dream Job

Today I am basking in that wonderful feeling of having landed the perfect new job. I am excited, nervous, and anxious to begin. I will be leaving an organization I have worked for the past 19 years. I've worked in several positions there;  some staff, and briefly in management. But, it is time for me to move on.

I am no stranger to taking on a challenge. This will be the most challenging yet. All those other experiences have taught me I can do this. Imagine becoming an OR nurse right out of nursing school! Yup, did that. Then, 2 years later I walked into a busy Boston hospital, thinking I was experienced enough for that. Of course, I found out it was like starting all over again.

Later, after I became an expert in that field, I longed to be a critical care nurse. How naive I was to think I could do that job. But learn it I did. And for 15 marvelous years I worked with the best group of nurses I have ever met.

Of course, commuting to the city was taking up too much time away from raising my girls. So, on to home care I went. I remember looking into that blue bag with a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff and thinking I had lost my mind. I was going to take care of cardiac surgery patients discharged home after 5 days! However, that experience was the most rewarding of my nursing career. I learned that my assessment skills went way beyond the technology I was use to relying on.

Now, I will be going back to the technical. This position will be improving patients early recovery at home with new technology. It seems I have come full circle.

2 comments:

  1. I love how nursing provides us with so much opportunity. Changing jobs can open new doors, help us learn and grow, and provide us with much needed work-life balance. Great post, sharing!

    ReplyDelete