Search This Blog

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Standing strong with Alex.

Two years ago, I started this blog as a place to share my thoughts on the disparaging remarks made by the women on the talk show The View about nurses. Back then, I believed we, nurses, were on the path to educating the public as to what nurses do. Unfortunately, that has not progressed as much as I had dreamed of.

When the ANA posted a video of a Utah nurse being intimidated and arrested for advocating for an unconscious severely injured patient, I was outraged. How could this happen? I joined in on Facebook with strong remarks and a posting of my own.

I was dumbfounded that this story was delivered nearly last on the national news, behind gas prices and another tragic frat hazing. It seemed like the network executives threw that in, and only because it was blowing up on social media.

Think about this: what if you were that man burned and unconscious in a hospital? A police officer arrives demanding to take your blood sample. You are not under arrest, there is no court ordered warrant. You cannot give consent even if you were asked.

You can and should expect your nurse to protect you and your rights. That is what Alex Wubbels did. And for that she was manhandled and handcuffed. Then, a police supervisor arrives and continues to intimidate her, insisting he knows more about the law and she should do what she is told.

I feel we were watching 2 men who felt their badge gave them authority that should not be questioned. If they were within their rights, why did they not wait for the hospital legal and administrative team arrive to discuss?

I believe this is not only a gender issue, but an issue of hierarchy.  I can only wonder if they would have treated a male doctor with the same disrespect.  Nurses and women have not gained the respect they deserve in our society. We need to make it clear we will not stand for this.

 All nursing organizations, like the ANA and the Utah Nurses organization, need to publish very strong statements criticising this behavior and demand protection of  nurses advocating for patients. Law enforcement organizations should acknowledge that this is NOT acceptable behavior.

Legislators, you must create laws protecting nurses. By doing so, you protect your constituency. This is about making hospitals safe havens for the most vulnerable, the sick and injured.

I hope we don't have to organise a march of the  stethoscope wearing 3 million strong who not only give comfort but protect you when you need it most. But we will, if that is what it takes to keep our patients safe.


3 comments:

  1. Totally agree. There are so many issue that went wrong in this case. In addition to the police overstepping their bounds, they arrested a nurse who was doing her job. In addition, administration at the hospital where the nurse works failed her. Where were they when this was going on? They along with Risk Management should have been in the ED en mass to support and protect the nurse and the patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, Ann Llewelyn. I watched the longer YouTube version of the video, in it Alex was on the phone with a supervisor. No one from admin showed up in the 20 minute version. I have to wonder, since the Utah Nurses and the ANA did not criticize them, if there just wasn't enough time for them to get there.

      Delete
  2. Hi Debby,
    I'm a writer for Reader's Digest, and I'm working on a story about how to survive your hospital stay. I'd love to interview you to get your perspective as a nurse on what patients can do to stay safe and healthy when they're in the hospital. Let me know if you're interested! My email is michellecrouchwriter(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete